Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Metal + Wood = Cool Masculine Card

My DH has a friend and coworker who just bought his first home. He asked me to make a congratulations card for everyone at work to sign. Unfortunately, I no longer have new home stamps, so I had to do a little web searching to help me out with an idea. I found a card, made by Mary Fish, that was similar to this, but smaller and feminine. With my husband's friend being a bachelor, the feminine scallops, flower, and butterfly paper was not going to work. So, I put a manly spin on her card.

new home card stampin up

First, I had to make it extra large, because so many people needed to sign it. The finished card size is 6" x 8 1/2". I used my retired Bigz Serif Alphabet dies to cut these letters from Brushed Silver card stock, and then glued them onto a piece of 3" x 8 1/2" piece of Natural Composition Specialty card stock. I used pewter brads to make the 'metal' letters look like they were riveted onto the 'wood'. Next I trimmed out the top and bottom with 1/4" strips of Basic Black card stock, and then glued it to my card base. I finished the card off with the word sweet, from Fabulous Phrases, on Very Vanilla card stock, and a trinket key (retired SU) added with a couple rolled up glue dots.

I was able to make an extra large envelope using the Envelope Punch Board. I did discover that the score line on the punch board is not long enough to accommodate the larger sizes of card stock. That was a bit frustrating. Fortunately, I have the Simply Scored Diagonal Plate, so I was able to finish the score lines on that.

Stampin' Supplies:

  • Stamps: Fabulous Phrases

  • Paper:

    • Basic Gray card stock - 8 1/2 x 12"; scored at 6" to create a 6" x 8 1/2" card base

    • Brushed Silver card stock

    • Natural Composition Specialty card stock - 3" x 8 1/2"

    • Basic Black card stock - 2 pieces 1/4" x 8 1/2"

    • Very Vanilla card stock, scrap



  • Ink: Basic Black

  • Tools and Accessories:

    • Big Shot Die Cutting Machine

    • Bigz Serif Essentials Alphabet dies (retired SU)

    • Pewter Brads (retired SU)

    • Trinket Key (retired SU)

    • Linen Thread

    • Stampin' Dimensionals (under the Vanilla banner)




 

MyHomeGrownArt Banner_wp-001

 

It’s my pleasure to help you with your paper crafting projects, offer tips, suggestions, and answer product questions. Contact me anytime with questions or with help in placing an order.

Smiles,


deenasignature


 

2 comments:

  1. This card is wonderful! I make cards to send to the troops, and this is perfect for them - it's masculine AND has a message they all want to believe in. Besides, I love going back to use some of my retired products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pamela, for your compliment and for sending cards to the troops!

    ReplyDelete