Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Watercolor with an Aquapainter

The birds in the Wetlands stamp set called to me from the catalog! I like the other images as well, and the sentiments, but I just love these birds! I created a super easy watercolor background using my Stampin' Up! ink pads and an Aquapainter.

Wetlands stampin-up 4

I used old fashioned masking tape to tape off a rectangle on my Whisper White card stock. I didn't measure out anything (I know, you are shocked!), because I was trying to recreate something as a request. I happened to get a lovely background with this technique, so I finished off the card. My masking tape is OLD, so it tore my card stock a little and the ink bled a little , which in my opinion, added to the effect. Blue tape, or a specialty painters tape might work better for you if you are a perfectionist (which I can totally understand, believe me!).

After you tape off a section of card stock, open up your ink pads just slightly, and squeeze the lid into the pad, to create a spot of ink on the inside of the lid. Then lay them all out, so they will be ready to work with. The colors I used here are Soft Sky, Marina Mist, Baked Brown Sugar, and So Saffron. Make sure you also have a piece of scratch paper or card stock ready to clean you Aquapainter on.

Making sure your Aquapainter isn't too saturated with water, pick up Soft Sky and do a quick, side to side wash, a little more than halfway down the card stock. Next add your Marina Mist. Clean off the Aquapainter, and then add the next two colors. Your card stock may be a little bubbly, but as long as it isn't too wet, it should dry nicely.

Let the card stock dry, peel off the tape, and stamp the birds and sentiment. Trim the card stock leaving a white border, and tie linen thread around the bottom section. Cut the mat piece 1/4" larger on the length and width, and adhere the two layers with Stampin' Dimensionals. Sponge the edges of the Crumb Cake card base with the Baked Brown Sugar ink, before adhering your stamped layer to it.

Stampin' Supplies:

  • Stamp Set: Wetlands

  • Paper:

    • Crumb Cake card stock - 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"

    • Whisper White card stock - My layers are 2 7/8" x 4 1/2", and 3 1/8" x 4 3/4", but yours may be different, depending on how you mask it.



  • Ink: Soft Sky, Marina Mist, Baked Brown Sugar, So Saffron, Basic Black

  • Tools & Accessories:

    • Aquapainter

    • Linen Thread

    • Stampin' Dimensionals




 

Shop Now

It’s my pleasure to help you with your paper crafting projects, offer tips, suggestions, and answer product questions. My customer service goes beyond your order! Contact me anytime with questions or with help in placing an order.

Smiles,


deenasignature

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card. Very inspirational. I love this set but havnt used it yet. Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda! It's time to break out your set, and try something new!

    ReplyDelete