Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fun with shrink plastic!

Do you remember Shrinky Dinks? I'm actually surprised at the number of people who tell me they have never heard of them! Well, you can still buy shrink plastic at the craft store, and I had fun making pins for my downline (aka Pink Paper Bakery girls!) going to convention!

I got the idea from a fellow SUDSOL member, Liz Holloway; who made a pendant and used the new clay to make a flower to add to her bottlecap. I had no clay, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know how to sculpt a cupcake anyway, so I went with Shrinky Dinks!

create-a-cupcake pins

I started out with bottlecaps (a retired Stampin' Up! product, but are available at a craft store), and smashed them with my Big Shot. I glued a 1" card stock circle to the bottle cap, and then topped it with a 1" diameter clear plastic disc (also available in craft stores!) As an option, you can fill it with Crystal Effects, but I clearly had no patience to wait for it to dry!

To make the cupcakes you need white shrink plastic and permanent ink, such as Sharpie or Copic markers, and StazOn ink pads. StazOn ink pads are available in various colors, and would be the easiest way to get your image onto the shrink plastic, but I'm too cheap for that! If you don't have a steady hand (for the instructions I'm about to give you), you would be better off purchasing brown StazOn ink.

The icing and cherry are super easy! Use the Cupcake Builder punch and punch out the icing and cherry, then color with markers. I added dots for sprinkles, using Copic markers. If you purchase the brown StazOn, you just need to ink up the stamp, stamp it onto the plastic and punch it out; easy peasy! If you already have markers and want to use what you have, then try this. Ink up your stamp with Basic Black ink and stamp onto a piece of copy paper. Use a light box or a window, and place the shrink plastic on top of the copy paper and trace the image by hand. My cupcake liner lines are not clean, and that's why! I like to use what I have, and cupcakes aren't perfect anyway!

Follow the instructions and bake your pieces in the oven. This only takes about 3 minutes, and it's so cool to watch! I'm pretty sure I let out a very immature squeel while watching mine shrink. LOL! Adhere your pieces to the pin using Crystal Effects. You may need to use tweezers because they are tiny little pieces! I purchased pins, attached to circle blanks and adhered them to the back of the bottlecaps.

I hope my fellow bakers enjoy their cupcake pins!

 

Stampin' Supplies:

  • Stamp Set: Create a Cupcake

  • Ink: Copic Markers (any permanent inked markers and StazOn ink will work)

  • Paper: Strawberry Slush card stock, 1" circle

  • Tools and Accessories:

    • Big Shot Die Cutting Machine

    • Bottlecaps

    • Shrink Plastic, White

    • 1" Circle punch

    • 1" clear discs

    • Crystal Effects




Shop Now

It’s my pleasure to help you with your paper crafting projects, offer tips, suggestions, and answer product questions. My customer service goes beyond your order! Contact me anytime with questions or with help in placing an order.

Smiles,


deenasignature


 

3 comments:

  1. Just so you know - you can also use your heat gun to shrink them instead of your oven.
    I love your cards - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa! I tried the heat gun first (didn't want to heat up my oven), but the pieces were too tiny and blew right off my table! It's probably a great technique with larger pieces. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. buy Timberwolves jerseys youth large

    ReplyDelete