Monday, May 20, 2013

Fun Summer Decor

I'm at it again! I'm changing the look of my seasonal area in my home. I decided to go with bright colors and a pinwheel theme. I'm liking it, but I'm not quite finished. This is what I have so far. (Read on because I need your help!)

I left my homemade chalkboard up, and changed up the look by adding this pinwheel garland. Here is where you come in! I need some ideas of what message to write on the board. It has to be a summertime message. If I choose your message, I'll send you a little gift! Leave your message idea in the comment section, or on My Home Grown Art's Facebook page.

 
I saw the colored glass bottle idea on Pinterest. Let me tell you, this is not as easy as it looks! I went to the flea market to pick up these cool bottles. I didn't want to mess them up so I practiced on an empty spice bottle. I can tell you one little thing, when thinning out the enamel paint, don't stir it fast or you will create bubbles that will show through the glass. I wish I had some more tips to give you, but I never really figured it out. I know, it looks like I did, but I'm still waiting for these suckers to dry, over a week later! For fear of messing up these vintage bottles, I'm just waiting it out!
 
 My plan is to add white pinwheels to a few or all of these bottles, once the paint dries. This waiting game is for the birds! Here is what I've got so far. Don't forget to help me with the message thing!


Here are photos of some of the pinwheels up close.

 
Alright, now I'm going to get to the 'how to make a pinwheel' part. I started with a 4" x 4" square, and marked the center with a pen (no worries, the mark will not show), using a grid ruler. Of course you don't have to use one, but if you don't have one, I highly recommend it (and not just because I'm a grid paper freak!).
 

Using scissors or a paper trimmer, cut diagonal from each corner to about half way to the center dot. I did not measure this distance (I know you are shocked!).
 
 
 All four of your sides should look like this.
 
 
 Add a glue dot to a corner and adhere it to the center dot.

 
 Repeat, alternating corners.
 



Unfortunately, glue dots are a temporary hold. Heat up your hot glue gun, and make it stay for good! Add a drop of glue to the center, and top it off with your favorite embellishment. I used a flower from the Blossom Party die, and a faceted button.

 
 
 
It's my pleasure to help you with your paper crafting projects, offer tips, suggestions, and answer product questions. My customer service goes beyond your order! Contact me anytime with questions or with help in placing an order.
 


 

8 comments: