Tuesday, April 9, 2013

For the Birds, Color Challenge

It's good to work outside of your comfort zone! When I saw the color challenge over at Create with Connie and Mary, I was thinking about skipping out. Thank goodness I like to be challenged, and their inspiration samples help too!

2013 Thursday Challenges-009

I decided to tackle this color combo with white space, and let the colors stand out against the white.  I had Designer Series Paper in only two of the three colors, so I created the Calypso Coral patterned paper myself, using a butterfly image from For the Birds.


I made three simple banners, (What am I going to do when banners are out of style?!), 3/4", 1/2" x 3/8". Next I stamped the main image, also from For the Birds, onto Whisper White card stock with Jet Black Stazon ink. I colored them in with both: Stampin' Write Markers, and a Blender Pen and ink pad combo. Then I punched it out with my 2 1/2" circle punch.


I love texture, so I finished off my card with paper piercing, and Rhinestone Basic Jewels, oh, and my fave, Stampin' Dimensionals!


Stampin' Materials:
  • Stamps: For the Birds (126405 wood/ 126407 clear)
  • Paper:
    • Island Indigo card stock (122923) - 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
    • Whisper White card stock (100730) - 4" x 5 1/4", 1/2" x 4 1/4", and 2 1/2" circle
    • Summer Smooches Designer Series Paper (125409) 3/4" x 4 1/2", and 3/8" x 4"
  • Ink:
    • Stazon, Jet Black (101406)
    • Island Indigo ink pad (126986) and Stampin' Write Marker (In-Color Collection 123002)
    • Real Red ink pad (126949)  and Stampin' Write Marker (100052)
    • Calypso Coral ink pad (126983) and Stampin' Write Marker (In-Color Collection 123002)
    • Lucky Limeade Stampin' Write Marker (In-Color Collection 123002)
    • Sahara Sand Stampin' Write Marker (Neutrals Collection 119703)
  • Tools and Accessories:
    • 2 1/2" Circle Punch (120906)
    • Essentials Paper Piercing Pack (126187)
    • Stampin' Pierce Mat (126199)
    • Paper Piercing Tool (126189)
    • Rhinestones Basic Jewels (119246)
    • Stampin' Dimensionals (104430)
(Click to Enlarge)

For the Birds (Click to Enlarge)
 
 
 
It's my pleasure to help you with your paper crafting projects, offer tips, suggestions, and answer product questions. My customer service goes beyond your order! Contact me anytime with questions or with help in placing an order.


10 comments:

  1. What a cute card. Love the banners! I also love how you stamped that little butterfly over and over to create your own DSP...very clever...and time consuming! Thanks for playing the Create with Connie & Mary challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! It actually wasn't too bad restamping that butterfly.

      Delete
  2. Just sooooo cute and I love how you did the birdies in each of the colors. DELIGHTFUL!!! Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! I love the three birds colored with the challenge colors! And I do hope that banners never go out of style - lol!! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, LOVE your homemade DSP and the added bling! Thanks for playing along in the color challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great card! And great use of the colors! It is clean, simple, and very creative. Thanks for joining us this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love how you colored the birds, my eye was drawn right to them and I totally want to case this card. Everything is so charming. I am so glad you added your card to our color challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary. Smiles, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute and cheery, Deena!!! It just made me smile! I love banners, too. For having a tough time (I did, too!), you sure knocked this one out of the park! Love it! Thanks for playing along with the color challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

    ReplyDelete