Saturday, March 9, 2013

Photopolymer Stamps Review

When Stampin' Up! announced the testing of the new photopolymer stamps, I couldn't wait to check them out myself. Up until now, Stampin' Up! has not had clear stamps, because they wanted to make sure the quality was great. That's one of the things I love about Stampin' Up!, they sell quality products. Well, my Designer Typset photopolymer stamps finally arrived, and I did an unboxing video on Youtube. The video does not show a project, it's simply me opening up the stamps and trying them out for the first time. Check out the video, and then read on for more of what I think about this stamp set (skip down to the bottom if you want the straight up pros and cons).
 
 
 
After making the video, I got to work on a new card. I made this one for my daughter, who has left our nest. I miss her dearly, and I think she will get a kick out of this (or think I'm a dork; or both)! 
 



So, let's get to it...I do like the photopolymer stamps, although I'm not so sure about this particular set because the pieces are so very tiny, and I almost lost one already. For this reason, I'm not sure how much love I will give it. I think it could be good to add a personal message, so I might take it out for a special occasion (like sarcasm). I was surprised at how many characters I was able to place in the bubble. It's sort of a lot of work to stamp one character at a time, but depending on your patience level and the message you want to get across, it might be worth it. The placement was SO easy, because you can see the actual image.

I do think the flexibility of the larger images is super cool! I love that I can put a little bend in them and create a new look.

The clear block need to be purchased separately (A,B,G, F and I are the blocks recommended). I am confused as to why Stampin' Up! recommends purchasing Clear Block F, as it's HUGE. It may be that if you want to bend the banner in an arch that the I Block can't handle, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I have put my set inside a Clear Mount Stamp Case (item# 119105), which is very similar to a DVD case, without all the junk in it. I slipped the clear printed sheet that the stamps on, inside the case cover, and then placed each stamp on top of it's image, on the inside of the case. This takes a lot of time, and must be done in an orderly fashion, but it's SO worth it.

 
 
 
As you can see, these stamps do stain. I am not one to care if mine are stained, because it doesn't affect the stamped image.
 

Pros: I think the value is worth it (57 images for $13.95); love the flexibility and how well they stick to the block; the clear polymer material makes them easy to place; love that I have the ability to make personalized (sarcastic) messages; the clear sheet it comes on has the images printed on it, so you can place them back where they belong, and can find them easily.

Cons: It comes on a sheet of acetate (mine tore a little) rather than a case; the images are SO very tiny (3/16" tall) and clear so they are easy to lose; stamping a message with these little suckers is time consuming; having to remount the stamps each and every time you want to use one; several clear blocks have to be purchased separately (unless you already own them).

Overall, if you don't mind mounting your stamps on to clear block each and every time, you like this set (and the possibility of making hilarious messages), and you have patience, you should buy it; they are good quality stamps!



Stampin' Supplies:
  • Stamps: Aviary (116956 wood/ 120462 clear) and Designer Typeset Photopolymer stamps (119105)
  • Paper:
    • Crumb Cake card stock (120953) - 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
    • Marina Mist card stock (119682) - 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
    • Whisper White card stock (100730) - 2 1/4" x 3 1/4"
    • Polka Dot Parade Designer Series Paper (126902) - 2" x 5 1/4"
  • Ink:
    • Basic Black Classic Ink Pad (old style)
    • Marina Mist (119679) and Pumpkin Pie Stampin' Write Markers (105115)
  • Embellishments:
    • Pearl Basic Jewels (119247)
    • Stampin' Dimensionals (104430)



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review as I have been thinking about giving these a try. One question though: why would you need to stamp one letter at a time? Can't you place more than one letter on a block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to stamp one at a time, but what I found is the spacing between letters is a little wide for my liking. The other reason is if you are making a word with more than one of the same letter. I figured this out when I went to make the word 'hello' and was disappointed that I didn't have two Ls. It's really nice to be able to create your own message!

      Delete