Saturday, March 23, 2013

Homemade Chalkboard

Spring is now here, and because I have a seasonal niche to decorate, I needed to get my St. Patrick's Day decor down. Besides, all the chocolate from my pot of gold was gone!


I devised a plan, for my Spring decorations, that incorporated paper flowers, butterflies, and a homemade chalkboard! After all, chalkboards seem to be a rage right now. Now, I have to admit that I like instant results, and sometimes I have to do a lot of tweaking because I don't follow directions. The lack of direction following does not often work in my favor. I'll tell you how I made my chalkboard, and then I'll tell you how you should make yours.

My shortcuts for this chalkboard included foam board (I didn't feel like asking my husband to cut a  wood board and thought I could easily cut this with a razor knife), Martha Stewart chalkboard paint, and foam rollers (I'm cheap!). I purchased everything from the craft store. If this was more than temporary seasonal decor, I would purchase the supplies from the hardware store instead of the craft store.

First of all, the foam board warps terribly with chalkboard paint. Second, I can't tell you for certain if Martha's product is awesome, because I didn't wait the suggested 24 hour curing time. My 24 hours meant the next morning. Martha's chalkboard paint did leave glossy finish, which I don't care for, and I used foam rollers so I did not get a really smooth surface. The directions say to prime the surface with chalk, and that resulted in a lot of surface scratches. So, get yourself piece of smooth, real wood, and the proper roller for a smooth finish. Follow the directions on the can, and wait the 24hours, even if you have to hide your project from yourself.


I popped my chalkboard painted foam board into my 12" x 16" frame, and straightened out the warping by nailing a paint stick across the back side. At least I'm inventive enough to fix my mistakes! I didn't even consult my husband! Probably because he would just laugh and shake his head.

Let the decorating begin! I wrote on my new homemade chalkboard with colored chalk. Then I used white chalk and colored directly onto some rubber stamps and stamped them on the board. The cool thing is, if you don't get a good image, you can erase it! I found that solid images worked best.


I added some Designer Series Paper, a paper flower, and some butterflies using glue dots. I love to make paper flowers! Be sure to check back so I can share more Spring decorating ideas with you, and show you how to make paper flowers.
 
 
 
Stampin' Supplies:
  • Stamps: Everything Eleanor, and Bloomin' Marvelous (retired Sale-a-Bration set)
  • Paper:
    • Tea for Two Designer Series Paper (from the Spring Mini Catalog)
    • So Saffron card stock
  • Tools and Accessories:
    • Big Shot Die Cutting Machine
    • Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die
    • Bitty Butterfly punch (Spring Mini Catalog)
 
 


It's my pleasure to help you with your paper crafting projects, offer tips, suggestions, and answer product questions. My customer service goes beyond your order! Contact me anytime with questions or with help in placing an order.

No comments:

Post a Comment