Thursday, February 21, 2013

Back to the Basics

There are so many card samples that are full of embellishments; ribbons, flowers, pearls, and lots of extra layers. Let's face it, we all feel like we need EVERYTHING! It's exciting, I get it. I want everything too! Today I made a card that is very simple, and involves one of the first things we learned in art...coloring!

Blender Pens are awesome for coloring. I love that I can pick up color from my Stampin' Up! ink pads, so my image matches my card stock and Designer Series Paper. I colored in my image and added the layer to my card with Stampin' Dimensionals. If I had to pick any one accessory out of the Stampin' Up! catalog, Dimensionals would be it. It's kind of like mascara for the eyes, it makes your image pop! Would you go without mascara?

Note: When using Blender Pens, make sure to use a permanent ink for your outlined image. I used Black Stazon.

 
Okay, so I didn't die from leaving all that stuff off, but I almost did. I went back and threw on a button. Well, I had to have a point of reference for my comparison!


I wanted to show you a close up of the coloring. With Blender Pens, you can control the depth of the color. For example, the birds bodies and wings were colored with Tempting Turquoise. I had less ink on my Blender Pen tip when I colored in the bodies. I also did some light shading with Sahara Sand, underneath a few of the images, where a shadow would naturally appear.

 
Click to enlarge.
 
 
Materials:
  • Stamp Set: For the Birds (126405 wood/  126407 clear)
  • Paper:
    • Daffodil Delight card stock (119683)* - 5 1/2" x 8 1/2"
    • Tempting Turquoise card stock (102067)* - 1/4" x 5 1/2"
    • Whisper White card stock (100730) - 2 1/4" x 3"
    • Summer Smooches Designer Series Paper (125409) - 2" x 5 1/2"
  • Ink:
    • Black Stazon (101406)
    • Real Red (126949)*
    • Tempting Turquoise (126952)*
    • Pumpkin Pie (126945)*
    • Daffodil Delight (126944)*
    • Old Olive (126953)*
    • Rich Razzleberry (126950)*
    • Sahara Sand (126976)
  • Accessories:
    • Blender Pens (102845)
    • Stampin' Dimensionals (104430)
    • Bright Designer Buttons - optional! (119747)
*Note: All colors I used (except the neutrals) are from Stampin' Up!'s Brights Collection. Assorted packages of Brights Collection card stock (119706) can be purchased instead of purchasing the colors individually. The Brights Collection ink pads (126987) can also be purchased all together for a savings.
 
 
It's my pleasure to help you with your paper crafting projects, offer tips, suggestions, and answer product questions. My customer service goes beyond your order! Contact me anytime with questions or with help in placing an order.
 

I got to hang out with my daughter this week. Since she moved, I cherish every moment even more! For the 3 short hours, we played at the mall and ate lunch (Mexican food, our favorite!). Here are a couple of photos we took at Pier 1 Imports. Please know, we did not leave with these silly head bands, but we sure had fun trying them on!

 
  Lounging in a double papasan chair. We almost didn't leave the store because it was so comfortable! It's sort of hard for us to take pictures without being goofy. I hope we never grow out of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment